Monday, June 06, 2005

This Isn't Sim City

I'm addicted to SimCity. I like the process of designing the city, putting buildings, power grids, water, and other necessary items where I want them. It's quite rewarding to build a city and see it grow. If there's a problem with the powerplant, I can fix it in an instant. If there is crime in a certain area of the city, I can put in a police station. It's too bad real life doesn't work that way.

The city can afford to put in roundabouts, but it can't solve traffic problems on 23rd Street. A roundabout. Like that is going to solve anything on 23rd Street or even Iowa. The city has limited funds to spend on paving the damn roads, but they have enough money to spend on a roundabout AND to put some flowers around it to make it look nice. FLOWERS? Ooops...forgot about the potholes. The damn roundabout needed some FLOWERS to look nice. Sorry. We'll pave them next year when we have funds, but that might not happen because we need to study if 23rd gets congested during rush hour.

Another thing. The bills I pay for water and electricity goes to pay for things like sewers, new electric lines, and other improvements to make the service more efficient. My only question is why the hell can't they get the damn sewer system where I live to work correctly after it rains? I suppose they used the money to do a survey on whether the streets get wet when it rains. The water department have been in my neighborhood fixing the sewers after it rains. Every single freaking time. At least one house has problems with their sewer line when it rains. Their basement floods due to an "unforseen" clog or something else goes wrong. That's not a very good record. Most people, let alone most businesses, would be out of work if they had a miserable record like that. But it's government, so they get a raise and a promotion.

Yes, life is not as simple as point and click and the problem is gone, but one would expect even a real-life city to make better decisions. You would expect them to try and solve problems so they happen less. Ideally, it won't happen again, but I think I can manage with having it occur a lot less than every time it rains.

Yeah, and the City of Lawrence owes me a freaking refund. The floor in my basement got wet. I spend two days getting the floor dry and the mess cleaned up. Something about the "sewer line" backing up due to all the rain.

Until then, I'll be playing SimCity. At least I can get the problems fixed a lot better than the City of Lawrence can.

That's all.

No comments: