Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Summer, Towels, and Fighting Losing Battles

Hello. It's an update for the Un-Zone, the blog that has the strange, amusing, humorous, and possibly rational thoughts of yours truly. I'm not exactly sure what I am going to write about today, as nothing very interesting happened. And I don't feel like writing about how isolated I feel in this world. I also don't have any random rants to write about, let alone something funny. I guess I will ramble on nothing in particular until I get tired.

I must remind myself that I should try to limit wearing dark-colored clothes when it is over 90 degrees outside. It may be fine when one is inside a nice, air-conditioned building, but when you go inside a car sitting in the sun for several hours, it is not good.
Ah, the joys of summer in Kansas. High temperatures and high humidity. I hate very hot weather. I wonder why I still even live here, despite my obvious dislike of such temperatures. I also wonder why I must have hot weather for it to be summer in Kansas despite said dislike of hot weather. I guess I am so used to the heat and humidity, that it isn't summer until you hit over 90 for an entire week, then proceed for a couple days in triple-digits. As Gary Lezak would say, "It's HOT, HOT, HOT! Will it hit a hundred? Find out in my forecast!" I really find that intro pretty annoying. I guess I should thank the remote control gods for disabling the "4" button, as I will not see Gary Lezak say this preposterous line in his "excited about the weather" voice. I digress. It is a bad habit of mine.

I like cleaning stuff, but it has to be done in a certain way--my way or it isn't done right. You name it, I like cleaning it. Almost to the point of it being a mad obsession. Laundry, dishes, my room, everything. Well, not everything, but you get the picture. It must be a remnant of my obsessive-compulsive cleaning habits when I was younger. Doing the laundry is conforting in a strange way. It is very calming for me for some reason. Weirdly enough, I get psychotic if the towels aren't folded in a certain way, even when the towels aren't mine. I have to have them folded in a certain way. If not, I have to refold them or I am not happy with how they are. Great. Never invite to your house to do the laundry, especially if you are cleaning towels. Never show them to me or I will refold them so they fit my towel-folding aesthetic.

I find myself fighting battles that I know, ultimately, I will lose. And if I do manage to win, I end up worse off than I started. It's pretty stupid when I think about it. For instance, someone might tell me that they want to "do X" , where X is a certain action that is supposedly important to that person. And yet, they do nothing. They make excuses. They find other things to do, other than what is needed to get X done. I admit, I am guilty of this like everyone else. I do get apathetic and not want to do certain things. In the end, despite such misgivings, I still do what's needed. As Richard Marcinko once said, "Thou hast not to like it; thou just hast to do it." You might not like doing something, but if you have to do it, you have to do it. Of course, there are certain limitations to the action proposed, but it is a good general principle.
I get angry; I get pissed off; I vent and rant and rage and wonder why the hell can't this person see things as I see it, as it is the obviously correct way. I shouldn't get angry about it. I shouldn't get frustrated. I probably shouldn't be involved in it and not be focusing on the subject more than the other person. I can't change the person's attitude, behavior, etc. The only person I can change is myself. The only person who should be angry is the other person. And yet, despite knowing this, I still try to change the other person and get into losing battles. Damn. In the end, I end up screwing myself over by getting angry over something I have no control over. Time to change that little habit, or at least try to temper it a bit.

That's all for now.

No comments: