Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Computer Crud

Hello. This is another update for this blog. During the summer, I have set a goal of updating this blog every day. So far, I have done a rather commendable job. I even updated twice on certain days. When the school year starts in August, well, this might be a whole lot more difficult. I will be lucky if I update every few days, let alone once a week. Anyways...
I fixed a computer at work today. It wasn't so bad. Though I have to admit that my boss is quite messy. It seems as if he hasn't cleaned anything in a long time. Like never. My God, I have never seen so much crud on a mouse ball and so much dirt in a keyboard in my entire life. I looked inside the case and I found things I never thought could inhabit such a spot. Ugh...
Apparently, his computer wasn't working so well. The keyboard stopped working, the mouse wasn't moving, and some programs were acting funny. The keyboard and mouse were easy. After cleaning the detrius from the mouse ball, it worked much better. The keyboard required a thorough cleaning. Compressed air and a vacuuming to get all the crud out.
Fixing the recalcitrant programs was much more difficult. I went through the basics. Then did some advanced stuff. Damn. Nothing worked. The programs weren't functioning properly. It was time for the Russian Repair Rule.
This is a politically incorrect term, but it is apt from a historical context. Russian computers during the Communist Era--that and many other things built during then--were notorious for breaking down and not working properly. The Rule, in it's basic form states if all else fails, beat the crap out of it.
So, while he wasn't looking, I hit the computer case several times. Then a couple more for good measure. Ah...everything worked properly. A little curious as what was inside, I opened the case (after turning everything off). Let's just say I should have not opened it. Not pretty. Put kindly, it required lots of cleaning. I really wanted to spray some disinfectant in there, but that would have made it worse. You gotta take a victory when you have one, no matter how minor it is. I reminded him to clean the mouse ball and keyboard every so often. And to keep the area a little neater.

So that's all I've got to say from this little part of Kansas, the home of KU basketball and all other things KU. That's all for now. later.

No comments: