Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Weekend Update

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only known site on the Internet devoted to all things related to Un. It's time for a weekend update to this blog, only because I truly care for your mental wellbeing. I know that you just can't live without knowing what is going on in my so-called life in this so-called part of the real world known as Lawrence, Kansas.

As much as I hate to do this, I find myself questioning my mental sanity and what potential psychological problems I might have as of this moment. Recently, I began to wonder if I had Asperger's. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I am manic-depressive or just plain depressive with bits of clarity and manic behavior. Maybe this is just a sign of rationality, though quite an irrational kind of rationality. If this is what being "mentally stable" is supposed to be, then God has a strange sense of humor.
You know, this would be so much easier to accept if I had some kind of obvious genius or intense creativity, as everyone seems to assume that the really creative people like your composers, painters, sculptors, and what not had mental issues. A large proportion of the people society considers to be genius had mental problems. Beethoven suffered from depressive states. VanGogh was mentally unstable due to coffee, absinthe, and a bad case of manic-depression. Many poets suffered from what they termed "melancholy" but that was most likely depression. Hell, Nobel Prize winners like Nash were paranoid schitzophrenics.
The Italians in the Renaissance had a term for this. People who had such awe-inspiring talent and what can kindly be said,"unsociable natures," had a personality called terriblita(there should be an accent in there, but I can't seem to put one in right now). Michaelangelo possessed this. Not that he was mentally unstable in any manner, but he was an unsocialble person and he was so into his work that he ignored everything else. One could call it a manic-depressive state. But I digress...
There's been this gradual decay of my excitement for law school. I'm reaching new lows in apathy for it which I never thought would be possible. Nothing excites me now. As long as I pass the finals in May, I'm all right. I've lost most, if not all of my previous notions and ideals about how great law school and everything else was going to be. It's gone, replaced by a level of loathing and cynicism for many of the inner workings and hoop jumping and God knows what else that defines the law school experience.
Then again, I could have taken another path and quite possibly, ended up even more bitter and railing against that path. Or I could be happier. But I can't guess or say if or wonder what it might have been like.

Oh, I'm now knee deep into research for a research paper for one of my law school classes. I think I have gone through twenty law review articles, one book, three cases, and several lengthy newspaper/magazine articles. I have more to go through like a list of state/federal statutes, some trade agreements, some WTO Appellate Panel/Dispute Settlement decisions, and much more. I add in the "much more" as I probably will have to talk to the professor sooner or later about my paper topic and he will want to suggest some other helpful references that might help with my paper topic.

In other more exciting news, I am up to Chapter Seven of Gray Hall II. This is an important milestone as I am quickly approaching the end of the fictional first semester. Halfway done. Woohoo.


That's all for now.

No comments: