Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Something Stupid Exercising

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site on the Internet devoted to all things related to Un. It's time for an update to this site.

I've been exercising pretty regularly for about eight months and I've never felt better. There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes when you've taken your body to a certain limit and possibly beyond. I feel much better after I exercise. And I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in a while, like in high school.
For some reason, when it comes to doing things, I either slack off or go overboard. When it comes to exercising currently, I tend to go towards the side of "Jesus Christ, you're going to kill yourself." This is not a good thing, as sometimes, I manage to go way overboard and end up injuring myself. Which totally defeats the purpose of exercise, namely, being physically fit. You probably can see where this post is heading...
I've become a fan of the treadmill, which by the way, seems to be an illogical exercise device. People are moving to stay in place or the result in falling flat on their face. We humans tend to find amusement with hamsters as they run around in their hamster wheel. Running and running without going anywhere. I suspect if we could read the mind of hamsters, they would laugh at us running on a treadmill. I digress.
Lately, for the past week, I haven't been so regular with the running (about three miles a day, three to four days a week, 6MPH pace). So I get the really guilty feeling. This can seriously screw up your common sense. Ah, I'm now sure you can guess where this is going.
So I start running. I hit one mile. Things are going well. Then I hit two miles.
At this moment, I'm feeling a little tired. At this moment, I should have slowed down. Common sense, right? But I don't. "I'm doing OK. I can go a little more." Maybe I was trying to look a little more hardcore than I normally am. Who knows.
I hit 2.25 miles. By this time, I'm feeling a little light headed. Now would be a good time to stop and slow down. Common sense, right? But no, I'm wanting to really feel the burn. To be a tough-as-nails runner. To push the body a little bit farther. No pain, no gain. "I'm feeling fine. I'm going to fight through this."
If I were a more-regular runner, or a ultra-marathon runner or a triathlete or a marathon man, I probably could have fought this and won without a problem. But I'm not. That's what common sense says. But due to a misfire in my mind, I go on.
I hit 2.5 miles. I finally stop as the nausea-feeling is hitting. But I don't stop. Oh no. I don't cool down and let my heart slow a bit. I go on and push through with the workout my mind has prepared.
The leg extensions. The upright rows.
It hits me during the upright rows. I'm getting dizzy. My vision is getting blurry. Walking straight takes too much effort.
Problem. The last time this happened, it was after I managed to run a sub-9:00 minute mile. Which was a long, long time ago, when I wasn't 30 pounds overweight. I had ran so hard, I collapsed and couldn't go on and got sick. That sucked.
This was worse. I managed to stumble to the locker room and I collapsed onto a bench. Didn't move for at least five minutes. Should have stayed there longer.
I walk out and the dizziness hits again. Sit down on the floor.
"Are you OK?" "Is he OK?" Oh, someone is talking about me...to me.
It takes a while to think properly.
"Uh, I'm fine. Just overdid it today. Just need some rest."
Need water. Feel sick when I drink it.
Not doing this again. For a while.
That was a foolish thing to do. Today's lesson is not to overdo it. Once the little voice of reason starts talking, it is a good time to listen to it. Or you end up convusling due to heat stroke or exhaustion and you wake up in a hospital with an IV running solution in your arm.

That's all for now.

No comments: