Monday, October 03, 2005

An Update

Greeting and welcome to the Un-Zone.

A quick update on the crazy endeavor I am taking in November which might screw up everything involving law school called NaNoWriMo. I now have a new blog up and running which will serve as the official site for my "online novella." I'll post up the link to this site sometime in late October or there abouts. I've come up with the main character and several supporting characters, including crazy professors. Since this is a fictional story, the standard rules of logic will not apply. Think of the setting as a John Grisham law school combined with a Mel Brooks comedy with a couple dashes of random bizarreness. If events seem implausable, it's meant to be that way. This is an unusual law school of my own imagination, so stretches of reality are going to be rife.

The type of story I am going to write, what genre it will be, I'm not sure. The best description might be a comedy blended with bits and pieces of other genres included. It will be a series of short stories or vignettes about a year in the life of a law school student. Well, come to think of it, I could say it combines Neal Towne Stephenson, Irving Stone, and a giant mish-mash of authors that I have read. Scary. So I read a lot. There will probably be digressions on topics that strike my fancy, as in Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, some nice prose like Stone in his novel on Michaelangelo,The Agony and the Esctasy, and Lord knows what else. I hope it turns out to be entertaining and not boring.

Now, all I have to do is dig up some material to write about. I've come out with enough material for quite possibly a third of the work, but not enough to pound out 50,000 words. This is just a rough estimate and not an actual figure. So, I will be keeping watching and listening for interesting bits of conversation, unusual actions, and other things that catch my fancy. So, this is a fair warning to those people walking around at KU. You might find yourself immortalized inside my work. If you see an Asian guy with a black backpack and a black bag and very short, almost buzzcut hair, it's your's truly. Don't worry too much, I'll fictionalize everything, so your friends won't laugh at you.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

The Kansas Law Student said...

That's going to be very interesting. Good luck finding material...I have a hard enough time posting an occasional blog...