Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween and NaNoWriMo

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the house located at the end of the street that your parents tell you not to visit. You know, that house the neighborhood kids make the creepy stories about involving the crazy old guy and the underground laboratory. Well, not that weird, but close enough.

Today is Halloween. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Halloween. For me, it's just another day in the year. When I was a kid, I had lots of fun dressing up in a costume and getting a bunch of candy. Now, it's like, whatever. I think that some people take this holiday way too seriously. You know, those people who will wear a costume to class or work. Those who will accost you for not having the proper Halloween spirit if you're not dressed up like they are. One would think that these people consider Halloween a religious holiday and wearing a costume is akin to religious vestments in order to commune with the Halloween gods.

While walking to Burge Union and walking back to Green Hall, I saw several people wearing costumes. Cat ears, a Renaissance Faire costume involving corsets, a pirate, and other assorted motley garb. I'm very sure they were enjoying themselves wearing their costume on campus.

The most interesting person I met wearing a costume was an attractive girl dressed up a black cat. It was early in the morning, just as I arrived on campus. I walked to the Burge Union to pick up newspapers and to check my e-mail, as the computers were on. Inside, I notice a girl wearing a cat costume, complete with the ears and tail. Obviously, this person enjoys Halloween.
The following is the conversation I had with her (All true without exaggeration):
Me: That's a nice cat costume you have on.
Cat Girl: Thanks. Where's your costume?
Me: I don't feel like wearing a costume.
Cat Girl: You HAVE to wear a costume. It's Halloween.
Me: Um...I do?
Cat Girl: Yes. You have to.
Me: Oh, in that case, I'm dressed up as a cat lover. In fact, I'm looking for a cat right now. You'd fit the bill. I'd make you purr.
Cat Girl: I was joking. Now that was good. Was that meant to be a pickup line?
Me: No, not really.
Cat Girl: Nice to meet you. I hope to see you later.

And with that, she left. I don't know her name or phone number. I was dumb enough not to ask for her name. Isn't THAT stupid? Oh well. I guess Halloween isn't too bad after all. It's all in the day of a life of a KU Law School student...
**********
In other news, NaNoWriMo begins tomorrow. The insanity starts in about eight hours. I have most of my story outline done (70%) and I'm too lazy to try and complete it. When I reach the point where I have no plot outline, I'll go and wing it.
The website for the NaNoWriMo entry is listed in the sidebar. I'll be using this site as a way to let you know when I've updated the story. I might post other stuff.

That's all for now.

No comments: