Monday, October 17, 2005

Walking Into Walls

Greetings and Welcome to the Un-Zone, the semi-regularly updated blog that takes a look into the mind of a KU Law School student. Not at regular as Old Faithful or things set to atomic clocks, but often enough that you get something new once a week.

I'm not a very graceful person. I have no hand-eye coordination. I also enjoy cooking, which makes we wonder why I haven't ended with missing fingers or with a knife stuck in my foot due to sheer clumsiness. Well, at least I have some hand-eye coordination. Thank God I wasn't so bad that I was the proverbial "last person chosen" in gym class. You know that guy, the one that nobody wants. You will not be seeing me in Arrowhead Stadium on a Sunday afternoon, cutting sharply across the field with precision like a surgeon. Or pulling off Dante Hall human joystick spins and turns to evade defenders. Yeah, I like watching football. I still think Notre Dame got ripped off on Saturday night. Even then, you have to give credit to Matt Leinart. That guy is a damn good quarterback. The pass he made on 4th and 9, real gutsy and perfectly thrown. I digress...
So, as I was saying, I'm not graceful. I'm a klutz. Mr. Butterfingers. Maybe Butterfingers covered in Crisco. I trip, clip, and run into things. Things like walls and other large, immovable objects. I once walked into a concrete pole on campus. Those things that they put in the the sidewalk so skaters wouldn't go on the sidewalk.
For instance, Saturday night. I'm working on something and I stop late at night. I decide to go to sleep. Despite being a confirmed genius, I do something stupid. I don't keep a light on so I can see where I'm going. After all, I've lived in this house long enough. I should know where the stairway leading to the front door is, where the doors and walls are. Did I mention my night vision can be a little lacking at times?
I'm walking along the hallway and I drift towards the stairs leading to the front door. I catch myself in time to avoid a painful fall down the stairs. I'm feeling confident. Wrong. I failed to judge distance correctly and I walk into a wall. A quick digression.
I had a capillary in my nose that kept rupturing, thereby leading to constant nosebleeds. The doctor cauterized it. I still have that problem. If you apply enough force to my nose, the sucker bleeds.
Wham. Bloody nose. I find the bathroom and turn on the light. Wad of toilet paper. After the bleeding stops, I flush the paper down the toilet and clean up my face. Next time, I'm keeping a light on.

That's all for now.

No comments: