Thursday, November 16, 2006

Welcome Back

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site on the Internet that I know of devoted to all things related to Un. Yes, it's that time again.

It's nice to make history. Sometimes, it's not such a great thing at all. Me and my partner for Trial Advocacy made history on Tuesday night. It's not official or anything, but given the history of this class, it probably is. Apparently, we are the first(unofficially) to lose the particular criminal case we tried on Tuesday night as the defense. That is, we got the first unanimous guilty verdict.
This is a bad thing if you are the lawyers for the defense. In general, when this particular murder case is done, it is generally a hung jury or a unanimous not guilty. I guess that me and my partner just manage to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or something like that.
It's not that we didn't show up or failed to try. Oh no, far from that. I guess that when all of the jurors fall asleep during part, if not all of the trial, things can go bad. Half of the jury fell asleep during the Plaintiff's case-in-chief, and half of the jury fell asleep during the defense case-in-chief. Nobody was awake totally during the trial. Maybe some of the audience members were awake, but I seriously doubt that. Some were snoring and had their eyes closed during the entire time, yet magically woke up when closing arguments were done. Just in time to vote "guilty of capital murder." That's nice to know.
Yes, things could have been done better on my part, but it's a team job. Yes, they were business students who were forced to do this for class credit, but still, you've got to stay awake during the trial to get all the facts. I like how they said the defense should have focused more on the fingerprints not matching, but oddly enough, I was pointing out that fact during the closing argument and my partner was talking about this during his cross-X of the police officer. I wonder how they managed to miss that, especially while I was emphatically pointing this out during my closing. Jurors, you can never tell.

Anyways, in other news. The Kansas Jayhawk basketball team failed their first test of the basketball season by sucking against Oral Roberts. One can come up with so many bad puns with the name Oral Roberts. I won't go there. It's kind of like the national title game against Syracuse when the Jayhawks couldn't make a damn free throw. One can only wonder why the hell the Jayhawks couldn't drive to the basket instead of trying to launch three-point baskets? Given their athletic ability and speed, it would have made a little more sense, even aginst a zone defense. Not that it really matters anyways. There was the Sports Illustrated Curse to blame. Screw the curse. They should have and could have won. The end.

I got my drivers license renewed and that took two minutes at a cost that leaves much to be wondered. Why does it cost $22 to get your license renewed in Kansas? The only real reason I can come up with is to keep the Interstate in good condition. We may rank last in tourism, but man, the roads are top rate. You've got to keep the cars driving through Kansas and not stopping to see what Kansas has to offer. Schools, however, that may be a different story given the state of disrepair for the universities and the poor showing in standardized tests. Not that "No Child Left Behind" is a functional program in any shape or form...

My birthday is rapidly approaching in a few days(next week). I'm getting older. One more year of life and I still haven't gotten any smarter, except for the knowledge of knowing I don't know much at all.


That's all for now.

No comments: