Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Another Year Older, Not Any Smarter

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site on the Internet that I know of devoted to all things related to Un. It's time for an update today.

I have added another lengthy installment to the Gray Hall blog. It is almost over. I just have what...13,000 words left? I am on schedule, maybe a little ahead.

Today is my birthday and I am a year older today. Do I notice anything different about myself right now? Not reallly. Am I any smarter with any sage bits of wisdom I can pass along to anyone? Not really. As Holbrook Jackson says, "No man is ever old enough to know better." I still don't know any better, which might make me a wise man. That's a scary thought. Douglas Adams expounds on this by saying the following:
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to
do so."

I guess that I've lived a decent quarter-century of life and I have another 3/4 to make the most out of, possibly more, possibly less. It all depends on how the die is cast. I might get the 7 or 11 and max out, or I get the 2, 3, or 12 on the first roll. I'm hoping for the 7 or 11. Kind of like blackjack. Faces and Aces are good, but if you have a 12 and you somehow decide to hit, a face card is lousy luck. I'm just hoping to get the right cards dealt at the right time. Ah, but you must make the most out of the hand you are dealt with, as some say. Horace, the ancient Roman writer/philosopher (everyone in ancient Rome was a philosopher or writer, even the military men), would say the following:
"In the midst of hopes and cares, of apprehensions and of disquietude, regard
every day that dawns upon you as if it was to be your last; then super-added
hours, to the enjoyment of which you had not looked forward, will prove an
acceptable boon."

Yes, I shall make the most of what I have right now. William Saroyan said the quite well with this little quote:
"Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you
laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be
alive. You will be dead soon enough."

Because in the great scheme of things, the life of a human is insignificant when compared to everything else.
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath
of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the
grass and loses itself in the sunset.
-Crowfoot

For death comes at an inconvenient time, no matter what you are doing at that moment when Death comes.
And I think that waiting until this school day ends will be like a slow death in some kind of metaphysical/metaphorical/analogous way. But at the end of this day, Thanksgiving Break begins. Which is a good thing.

That's all for now.

No comments: