Monday, April 24, 2006

A Night at Baylor Law School Library...

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site (at least the only one that I know of) on the Internet devoted to all things related to Un. It's time for a Monday morning update.
I admit that I've made many comments about law school on this blog and in The Brief-Brief, but every so often, I find something that puts everything back into a more complementary perspective about everything. At least our interim Dean isn't like the law school dean over at Baylor University, home of a former men's basketball coach who was lying scum and tried to protray a murder victim as a drug dealer just to save his butt.
And what has inspired this temporary change of heart? At least the administration at KU Law School, despite being ranked #70 in the US News rankings, has the common sense not to schedule noisy events during finals period or to close down the law school libraty so his son could host a pre-prom dinner party. Yes, a prom party in a law school library. During finals period. I'm not sure why anyone would want to host anything in a law school library, but after seeing some pictures of their library, it is quite attractive and aesthetically pleasing site:

Of course, some of the parents involved in this effort thought that the law school students who complained were whiny and suggested that they could study somewhere else in the library. After all, according to their "logic", it was only temporary (four hours) and only "half" of the law school library was shut down. Brilliant logic, but NOISE travels.
“I study on the first floor of the library regularly . . . and I can hear clapping and a constant buzz through the earplugs I use,” Duesler said. “There is also a lot of traffic in and out, the high school kids and their parents.”
After getting complaints from faculty and students and after the event occurred, the law school dean came to the shocking conclusion that it was an amazingly idiotic decision on his part. Not that studying for finals really matters, especially when it's your son who wants to use the building. A quote from an article describing this mess. Please note that the material in brackets was not part of the original article and were inserted by the blogger:
For his part, Toben, who was in Dallas for a dinner Saturday night, acknowledged the concerns of students and some faculty, and apologized for the decision...
“I have come to the conclusion that my judgment in this matter . . . was poor,” [as if that wasn't obvious when the suggestion was made] Toben said via cell phone. “I have discerned [um...common sense?] very clearly [after hearing complaints and getting this story in the newspaper] that some of my students and one or more of my colleagues are very upset about the use of this space, especially during exam time. They are right.”
“I am very sorry for this, and I apologize, and I understand that I have no doubt lost the confidence of many [obvious], and I will move forth accordingly [like give up the dean position],” the law school dean said.

Then again, this would never happen at the KU School of Law as the the library isn't that good looking...just like the other law schools around the nation built in the concrete-box style.

That's all for now.

No comments: