Sunday, April 30, 2006

Life Outside Law School

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site on the Internet that I know of devoted to all things related to Un(an actual person and not the United Nations, which has it's own website). It's time for one of those updates.

I've been asking people that I know (those who attend law school) what they would have done if they didn't attend law school. Most of them answered by stating that they would have went to graduate school and gotten a masters/doctorate degree. One professor I asked mentioned that he would have been a bartender on a Caribbean island. Honestly. It was the coolest answer I've gotten and quite possibly, one of the more interesting answers I'v heard.
Me, I probably would have went to graduate school and gotten a doctorate in some subject like English and pursued an academic career like being a professor. Not the most interesting thing, but suitable for my personality type (ITSJ on the MBTI). I sometimes think I would have been much happier if I had not pursued the law school path of life. Much happier.
It's not that I absolutely hate law school (I find some aspects to be amazingly idiotic. It reminds me of a "grown-up" version of high school, but a lot more expensive.), but being the "future lawyer" of my family, I'm the new source of legal help.
My mother will watch The People's Court or Dateline or 48 Hours and ask me questions on why certain things were ruled in a certain way. Because I'm in law school, I should "obviously" know the answer, despite not having learned much, if any, about the topic in law school. Answering such a question would require doing some research. But I'm "supposed" to know the answer. Despite my best efforts in explaining this, she considers my answer to be a sign of laziness at studying and not putting enough effort into law school. Maybe I'm not looking at this from the proper perspective, but it still drives me fucking insane. Despite my best efforts in trying to stay calm while explaining this, I inevitably lose my temper (which happens a lot and with great fury) and start screaming at her. It's not the best way to deal with this, but every time she asks me a question, she has to ask it multiple times as she did not remember the answer I gave her or she did not understand a certain phrase I used, despite breaking it down into one syllable works that a child could understand. All because I am a damn law school student, I'm supposed to know every damn detail and every fucking rule of law. I absolutely hate it.
Then she will go and pull out the guilt-trip card (the "you should be nice to people and not yell at me). God forbid that my father or my sister will be around, as they will do the same thing. I hate it. Then I feel guilty about yelling at her, despite knowing that as a law school student, it is impossible to know why certain things are done in certain ways without doing some research. You only get a basic idea of why things are done, but this is limited to certain topics that the law school merits as worthy of teaching. She always mentions that "I'll have to deal with people nicely." That is true. But, as a law school student, it's not as satisfying as saying "If you really want to know, then ask a lawyer." She's now learned (up to a point) that asking me these questions is something that will drive me up the wall and become potentially violent. Which now applies to many other situations like asking me questions of any sort unless it requires answers of "yes" and "no" and "maybe." So I have anger management issues and she thinks that she was a bad parent for not trying to connect with me as a child. I don't think she was a bad parent considering what was going on at the time.
It's now gotten to the point where I am now going to be the source of legal help for the family once I graduate. I've been "blessed" with the great responsibility of solving legal problems when they arise, assuming I stay in Kansas. It is very tempting to just get the hell out of Kansas as soon as fucking possible...like to California or anywhere that requires at least two days of driving time. I might even get an unlisted phone number, leave out any mention of an address, and change my e-mail address. It's gotten to that point.
I love my mom, but this is driving me insane. At this moment, I sometimes look back and think that I should have never even thought about becoming a lawyer and attending law school. I hate it. I absollutely hate it.

That's all for now.

No comments: