Friday, February 10, 2006

Technology

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the semi-regularly updated site of nearly all things related to Un.
I am having a really lousy time with technology. At least when it comes to the University of Kansas' e-mail access. Put simply, I hate it. The list of things that have went wrong with technology:
1. I can't send e-mail to the Brief-Brief e-mail address for some reason. The messages keep bouncing back. They're "undeliverable." I tried six times to send one e-mail on both Outlook Exchange and Webmail. Nothing worked at all. Thankfully, the editor saved a copy of the articles I emailed to him.
2. I can't get Outlook Exchange to work properly. Not that it's ever worked properly (actually functioning without lag or error messages or whatever is wrong with Outlook at any give time), but that's a different story. I type in the web address and the page does not exist. Can't find the server. But the nice people working at the library have no problems getting on. Is it just me?
3. Webmail doesn't recognize that I exist. I changed my password (due to the University's new "Secure Password" initiative) yesterday. It should be working by now considering that the webpage said it would take a half-hour. Does not work. Access denied. Over and over again. Last time I checked, 30 minutes and nearly 18 hours is not the same thing. Unless you're in the G. W. Bush administration where everything is relative and redefined. I'm now an "Intruder" and access is now denied for "an hour." That might mean what...a week?
4. I can get e-mail access through the KYou Portal, a website with a bad pun for a name. Ha Ha. KU...K-You? Get it? Not very clever. I wonder how much it cost to come up with that name? Probably less than their new logo which a person with Photoshop could whip up in an hour and for a lot less. I digress.
However, KYou is buggy also. It takes forever to load, gives me error messages, and doesn't recognize commands like "delete mail" or "move mail" if you click on the little icons. Not that the icons are supposed to mean anything and by clicking on them, they're supposed to work. I guess the web designers put them there for decoration. You know, to make the site look pretty.
I had to sign off by clicking on "sign off" (Which functioned correctly the first time unlike the other icons and buttons on the site. I guess they recognized that people want to get off the site and not be trapped there forever, clicking on icons in vain) and logon again just to read three e-mails. Wow, no wonder why KU wants website people so much. They need them to get their webiste running or crawling...

I can only say that I can access my other non-KU e-mail accounts very easily, unlike the KU account. Go figure.

That's all for now.

No comments: