Monday, August 22, 2005

Never Has So Much Has Been Charged For So Little

Greetings and welcome back to the Un-Zone, the site guaranteed to be 100% all-natural Un, without the usual filler of inferior sites. Unlike the Food and Drug Administration, I can be sure of the final test results. It's Un-tested, Un-approved.

Just as I predicted, the Constitutional Law supplement arrived today. It might have arrived on Friday afternoon, but that is highly unlikely. Then again, I only had classes in the morning and I didn't check to see if it was there. OK, let's rephrase that. I know that the supplement was available today.
Surprisingly, the supplement wasn't as big or as think as I thought it would be--only 72 pages long and the size of an oversized paperback novel. I'm glad that it isn't as big or as thick as I expected it to be, but the price is way too high for such a paltry book. Yeah, I gripe a lot. I gripe about how thick and heavy the books are. If they aren't big, then they cost too much. Or they are big and they cost too much. Maybe you'll understand why I think it cost too much.
The cost of this "textbook," if you can designate it in such a manner was nearly $30. Now, for something containing 72 pages, this is an exorbitant amount. I'm not too sure about what materials and costs go into printing a book these days, but I'm very sure there isn't any gold, platinum, or any other rare materials in the ink, glue, paper, or binding. I doubt it would have cost the book publisher that much money to insert the supplementary material into the already oversized textbook. Then again, the material in the supplement was relevant, but came out later than the publishing date.
I should read the supplement to see what exactly is in there. If it turns out to be publishing errors...then then should pay more attention on quality control. If they need 72 pages to list the errors they made, that doesn't speak too highly of the company. Wait...I read their Civil Procedure textbook and that wasn't well written either. I digress.
Your ordinary paperback book doesn't cost this much. Thirty dollars for a hardback book is reasonable. Most of the paperbacks I buy don't cost more than $15. Then again, I like the Half Price Bookstore. And Borders has a wonderful selection for under $15 and they are much more interesting that what you will find in any law school textbook. Yeah, I know. Law school textbooks weren't intended to be interesting, but it would make the experience less boring.
Yes, this is a law school textbook, but I doubt it justifies charging law school students so much money for so little a book. Hell, I could have just photocopied it for $14.40 on the Xerox machine. But that would be a possible violation of copyright laws. I should just grin and bear it. At least my credit card company will be happy to note my newest purchase. And I thought filling my gas tank would cost me an arm and a leg....

That's all for now.

No comments: