Sunday, July 31, 2005

A Random Poem

Greetings and welcome to the Un-Zone. I now have found some time to go and post an update today. Don't expect to see me update on consecutive days any time soon.

I had a Samuel Coleridge moment last night. For those not English-major inclined, Samuel Coleridge, while in an opium-induced haze, had a vivid dream that turned into a poem. When he woke up, he started writing "Khubla Khan." Supposedly, it was a massive 300 line poem, but in the middle of his transcription, an insurance salesman knocked on the door and interrupted him. Which shows that even a hundred years ago, door-to-door salesmen are quite annoying. Sad to say, he only could get down about 50 lines. He forgot the rest.

Anyways, I had this dream involving a guy walking down a riverside path. It's a gray, cloudy day, with a heavy mist/drizzle. He has his hands stuck deep inside his pockets. And as he is walking, a sad song plays in the background. And the words...

When I woke up in the morning, the words were still in my head. Luckily, no insurance salesman interrupted. It has no title and it seems a little stilted in some sections. And so, without further ado, here it is...


Before you came along
I was singing a sad song
A song filled with regret
Of things I can't forget
And it's a sure bet
I'll find myself asking
Who are you

As strange as it may seem
Meeting you felt like a dream
The sparkle in your eyes
With nothing in disguise
I wasn't surprised
To find myself asking
Who are you

Oh, I'll never forget
The first time that we met
You took away my breath
When you wore that black dress
And now I confess
I found myself asking
Who are you

For it must have been fate
When we met again on that date
We played a silly game
I never felt the same
A I have no shame
To find myself thinking
Who are you

Chances slipped through my hand
Like a thousand grains of sand
Before you went away
I saw you every day
I never got to say
The simple message of
I love you

And sad as it may seem
You can only be a dream
We're always far apart
Someone else stole your heart
I knew from the start
Someone said to you
I love you


Where that came from, I'm not all too sure. All in all, it didn't turn out too bad. That's all for now.

1 comment:

introspectre said...

Quite lovely. Keep dreaming...