Saturday, July 16, 2005

Beauty

Greetings and welcome to The Un-Zone, probably the best number two website on Yahoo Search. Well, at least in my personal opinion. Well, some might consider the lovely sites about the UN zone in the Middle East more interesting. Geopolitics is an interesting subject, but it kinda makes for dull reading. Anyways, I'm number two.

It's time for me to go on a philosophical bent today. After having some fun with the song parodies, I think it is time for something more serious with a few little interesting bits added in for flavor. You wouldn't want to read a dull treatise, now would you? Yes, I do write with long sentences. I was an English major, and after having word limits imposed by the law school writing classes, I say to hell with word limits! Today's post is about beauty. Where this will end up is anyone's guess.

I like drawing. The subjects I draw usually end up in three major categories: women, monsters, and everything else. For some strange reason, I have this weird trichotomy, if that is a word, which it probably isn't. The monsters I draw are grotesque, bloody, evil, malevolent, ugly. Large claws, teeth, physical deformities. However, to balance out the grotesqueness, I draw females. Inevitably, they turn out to be attractive ones, well, at least physically. I take time to get them as perfect as possible. I take time to shade them carefully, making sure that every detail is just right. The "everything else" category is everything else. Samurai, weird pictures, etc. Everything that is not a female or a monster. Like all the pictures I draw, I take time and effort to make these look nice. But I find the most pleasure in drawing the females. It must the innate liking for beauty in the traditional sense of the word.

Beautiful women. Of course, like many males, I would be a liar if I said that physical attractiveness didn't matter when looking for a girlfiriend. It's one of the first things people notice. Great looking hair is good. Attractive eyes are a plus. A bright and real smile is better. It isn't the only thing that I look for. If it was, then I would be a very shallow person. And I would also be a total moron. Physical beauty is a poor guide for judging personality. It's a poor arbiter for anything. It is an excellent arbiter of nothing or danger or death.
On a related side note, there's an animal called the seacone. It has a beautiful shell. But the animal inside defends itself by shooting a barb. This barb injects a deadly poison that can kill a human in minutes. The outside beauty hides death. Like people, beauty can be a shell that hides less desirable things. One cannot totally judge by exterior looks.
I want someone who has other redeeming features. Things like intelligence, kindness, a sense of humor, someone capable of intelligent discussion, a touch of class, a joy for life. If you are attractive as well, even better. If you are good looking, but you are mean and have no sense of dignity or class, despite being beautiful, no way. I can't tolerate people who are rude and who treat others poorly.
I've had those moments where I see a beautiful woman and I want to follow her. I'm sure that everyone has had that urge. Male and female alike. And then you follow them. You lose them in the crowd of humanity in a busy street or in a crowded room. And then, when you just think you will meet them, they disappear, never to be seen again. With those kinds of fantasies or dreams, what else is there to do? And when you do follow them, what occurs? Well, pretty much nothing. You end up disappointed at a lost chance. And the memory remains, lingering in your mind.

The search for beaty. Whether it is flowers, cars, women, etc., the joy in the search for beauty is in the actions of the search, more than anything else. You look high and low, analyzing, scrutinizing every aspect. And when you find beauty, you recognize it. The search may be complete, but there are ever more things and people to look at. It is never complete. Just when you find the epitome of it, something else catches your eye. In a way, it is an endless search, but one that people find enjoyable. And yet, when we do find it, we wish to extend that moment for all eternity. But we can't. So we look for another moment. The search continues until the next moment is found.
Sometimes, we get to keep that moment for a little longer. But, like many things in life, beauty fades. It becomes less enjoyable for some. Some might find beauty in the changes. Others will discard and throw away. And we look for a new moment to hang on to. The search goes on again.

I don't know. Maybe I am being too cynical about this subject. Maybe I am being way too philosophical. I'm not sure. Well, whatever it is, I hope you have enjoyed this.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Thia Michelle said...

I just wanted to say thanx for posting to my blog. Yeah, Kong went pretty fast, but he was a good teacher. I've heard horror stories about Kinnersly... Yuck.

Anyway, nice blog. You should think about doubling in English since you love it so much.

Here's to not judging appearances. Keep up the blogging.