Thursday, August 17, 2006

The First Day as a 3L

I'm going to cut out the standard greeting for this post as I don't feel like typing it today. It's the first day of Law School and it is a special school year this time. I am a 3L and in May 2007, I will graduate with a JD from KU Law School...I think. As long as I don't do something really stupid right between now and then, I should be all right.

Like the Kansas Law Student, I got an undergraduate degree from the University of Kansas in 2004. Though my degree was a BA in English and History. And I remember walking down the Hill towards Memorial Stadium and thinking to myself, "Boy, am I going to miss this place." All the great basketball games, the treks into the bowels of Wescoe Hall, the Kansas Union, and all of the other stuff that makes KU...well...KU. Then I realized that I was going to KU Law School next fall and I had to slap myself on the head for being such an idiot. After all, I had gotten the much-wanted "Thick Envelope," the one where you are accepted, in April. Duh.
Not that I actually slapped myself on the head or anything. It would have been on the Jumbotron and that would have looked pretty dumb.
"HEY, look at that idiot slapping himself on the head!"
I think I've gone through a bunch of stuff while at law school. I met some very interesting people and became friends with them. I've been a little more sociable, well, enough not to gain the reputation for being a complete gunner who has to get everything done in the first week and not so much that I'm a guy who is in a haze every day. And I've done a decent job in making my personality known and saying some crazy stuff in class. The people at the law school know what I am talking about. Torts, Con Law, Crim Pro, Evidence...the good ol' days.
It's a good feeling to be a 3L, knowing that I don't have to go through the pains of Lawyering or wondering if I said something stupid in class. I just now wonder if I've managed to scare the living daylights out of people. Just kidding. I really don't care.
My first day wasn't too interesting. I keep thinking it should have been a little bit different. Just went to one class and that was it. Nothing too much. Went home and had lunch. But after it's all done and I go and make an attempt to listen to the "Official Graduation Speech" for the fourth time, I'll probably wish I could stay just a little longer and skip being responsible and forget about the real world for just one more day and become a stand-up comic. Or become a world-famous author and make money writing novels about the law school experience.
It's time to seize the day and make the most out of this final year of law school. Now if I can only get the first day assignments done before the first weekend rolls around. Not likely.

That's all for now.

No comments: