Thursday, January 12, 2006

Poetry

Greetings and welcome to the Un-Zone, the irregularly updated site for all things related to Un on the Internet. It's time for an update.
This update is a poem. It's got this bluesy-folkish beat to it. A lot of decent blues songs are about love gone wrong and this poem is about love gone wrong.
It’s a little homage to my career as English major (the use of metaphors and similes) plus a dash of discrete mathematics (logical statements). You'll understand what I am saying once you read it. Kind of humorous in a wry sort of way.
When I write these poems, I start out with little fragments that pop up in my head. Little phrases and sentences that might become a stanza. I generally write these fragments down or I forget them five minutes later. They come at the strangest times: in the middle of the night or even in the middle of a shower. It’s really weird. Maybe it isn’t as strange as I think it is. With this poem, however, I just sat in front of the computer and typed it out. It was a Zen-like moment of pure poetry writing. I’m surprised I came up with all of these metaphors and similes. It's called "Still" To be honest, I like this one.
I hope you indulge me and allow me to post up stuff like this. Enjoy.


STILL
If romance is an adventure
And love is a vast sea
Then I’m a blind captain
Wondering what is happening
Will someone give a map to me
If that special person is land
And love is a vast sea
Then I’ll always be wondering
If others are blundering
Off the edge of the world like me

And I’m still looking
I’m still looking for love
His arrows are stupid
Passed over by Cupid flying above

If romance is a winding road
And love is a journey
Then at the end of the night
I search for a guiding light
Why is a light I can never see
If romance is a marathon
And love is the finish line
Then I have run millions of miles
Without getting many smiles
And I’m not feeling fine

And I’m still running
I’m still running away
My tongue is frozen
The words I have chosen I can’t say

If romance is a tug of war
And love is just a game
Then I’m a guy who is crazy
And whose vision is hazy
A rookie in a professional game
If romance is like hunting
And love is like a gun
Then I’m a hunter admitting
That I have trouble hitting
Targets that are on the run

And I’m still standing
I’m still standing here
Like a deer in the headlights
I’m frozen with fear

If romance is like a cloud
And love is like a plane
Then I’m a pilot who is learning
That crashing and burning
Is an experience full of pain
If romance is like the weather
And love comes in shades of gray
Then a hurricane is growing
And the winds of fate are blowing
My chances with you away

And I’m still flying
I’m still flying low
Flap with all of my strength
For any length, there’s still no place to go

And I’m still looking
And I’m still searching
And I’m still seeking
And I’m still finding
Finding myself—all alone

Finding myself all alone

No comments: