Tuesday, April 03, 2007

An Update to the Site

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the known only site on the Internet devoted to all things related to Un. For those who do not know what this means, this site is all about the random thoughts floating in my head that I find interesting.
The semester is about to end very soon and my many years of school--19 years to be somwhat exact, will all be over. I will have more diplomas and more education that I probably will ever need in real life. As much as I dislike certain aspects of the American law school educational system like well, nearly everything about it, as well as the other asssociated hassles that come along the way, law school wasn't all that bad. I mean, when compared to certain aspects of real life.
In law school, you could plan you days such that you only went to school for half a day. Or you could have your Fridays free of class, let alone any day you chose. If you only wanted classes in the morning or the afternoon, that's fine as well.
In the real world, however, it's a mandatory 8 hours, five days a week. At a minimum. Add in the forced overtime, or in the lawyer's world, 100 hour weeks for your first year so you can have a chance at being a partner in the firm...law school isn't so bad. Sure, you have to deal with boring books, even worse classes, and faculty and administration that you might not get along with, but it's nothing like the real world.
In sum, given the choice between law school (or grad school) and the real world, hand me the books and I'll write a paper. I might be persuaded even more if you throw in some cash as well. Fat chance of that happening.

That also and I won't have so much time to see KU basketball and stuff like this:




I'm not a big fan of the law school rankings given out by US News and World Report as its a giant load of bullshit. I'm not a fan of their methodology. If you've seen the news lately, they arbitrarily will put numbers in their formulas if they don't have that information from your school. Which totally defeats the "objective" purpose of their rankings.
The University of Kansas is doing so much better in the rankings...if you can actually believe them. I've always thought that KU Law is much better than what the rankings say and I think that the University and others put too much emphasis on those numbers. For me, personally, I could care less about the rankings. It's all about the personal stuff. You could go to the number one school in the nation, but if you don't like the experience there, it's not the best school for you at all. The same applies to grad school and college.
Oh well. Believe what you want. But the rankings and the methods they use to come up with them are all pseudo-science mumbo jumbo.


That's all for now.

No comments: