Monday, December 18, 2006

Not Extinct like a Dodo, but Elusive like an Ivory-Billed

Greetings and welcome back to The Un-Zone, the only site on the Internet (that I know of right now) devoted to all things related to Un. You know the drill. It's all about the random things on my mind that I find interesting at that moment. And my mind is very random at any given moment.

I was flipping through the channels and I happened to stop on CBS. The Survivor finale. Woohoo. It was kind of interesting, unlike the Chiefs game. That went horribly. The Chiefs did not get punched in the jaw, as one commentator said, but they got smashed by a steamroller. Offense flatter than the plains of Kansas. The defense was shot up more than a heroin addict's arm. All in all, an embarassing game by a less-than mediocre team. I'm thinking 8-8. No 9-7 season for the Chiefs. I would be thinking 7-9, but they're going against the Raiders, so that should be a win. Anyways...the winner, a Korean named Yul, said something about how winning would break the stereotypes about Asians. The runner up, a Mexican named Ozzie, said a win would do the same thing for Mexicans.
The Asian (who happened to be a lawyer by the way) won through using his smarts by deceiving, manipulating, and using guile to win people over. The runner up, a Mexican, applied himself in doing tasks. He got food, started fires, won immunity challenges involving physical activity. He was, for the most part, honest. To sum up again, the Asian won.
The scheming, deceiving, smart Asian lawyer won. The loser was a hard-working Mexican who could run, swim, climb, and jump. Doesn't that break the mold we have of certain races?

I went to a party last week on Saturday. It was a holiday themed affair. I did not wear a holiday sweater with anything related to Christmas. I don't wear sweaters, especially those that have snowmen, Christmas trees, or any other holiday-related motif. Many did, however. I'm not one to wear clothing of such dubious taste, no matter the occasion.
As you may have guessed, I am not much of a social-events type person. My lack of a social calendar is quite obvious. It must be due to several reasons. One of which is a severe case of social introversion, unless some form of social extroversion is absolutely necessary. Or I find some event where I do not look out of place. Like an academic contest like Hi-Q or Scholars Bowl or a math contest...
I do show up for the infrequent event. Just enough to show that my social life, though limited, is not absolutely extinct like the dodo. See picture below this paragraph. I think my social life is like one of those SAT analogies where you pick the best one. It's sad when you can compare your social life to extinct or supposedly extinct creatures that have been exterminated from the face of the planet. Thankfully, I make enough rare showings that I am not like the passenger pigeon or the dodo:

I think of my social life (in keeping with the bird theme), the elusive ivory billed woodpecker. Thought to be extinct for many years, it suddenly and mysteriously shows up in the wild. Even with some kind of proof, the presense is actually debated. The existence is under debate. When seen, people utter words of complete awe and shock. One famous viewer of the bird, Theodore Roosevelt, said "Good God," hence the nickname of the "good God" bird. Which is the kind of reaction that happens when I show up for a social event. People think they have seen a ghost and express surprise. And then some people take pictures to mark this occasion as a rare sighting.
I now consider myself to be an endangered species in the party realm. Somewhere, someone is posting a cash reward for pictures of me. Kind of like UFO or Bigfoot sightings. This only would happen in my mind of course or in an absolutely bizarre parallel universe. It seems like everyone knows who I am without really have seeing me. Strange. My life is, for some reason, stranger than any fictional story. Which makes me, at times, question reality. There are pictures of me with actual people (unmarred by Photoshop). Not just any ordinary people, but women. That in itself is worth several million (in a worthless currency). I am not in possession of any, but I'm sure I can wrangle a digital copy. Some time in the not so near future.
It was an amusing event. Attending a function thrown by law school students is a refreshing change of pace. A law school student party is akin to walking into an alternate universe. At least for me. It's like visiting a whole other country. Ah, the sensory overload one gets. All the little details one notices. Some of the more amusing things I saw and experienced:
1. Having my picture taken with a group of attractive women. OK, this was more in the line of "Damn, aren't I a lucky guy" but amusing is a perfectly fine way of describing this experience. I had made the comment of "attending this party is like sighting an endangered species. Someone should take a picture of this." I had meant this in jest, but I guess that the person took this literally and took a picture of me and several girls. All of whom, I might add, are attractive. I, indeed, for a while, was a happy guy.
2. Never trust a law school student to add liquor to eggnog, unless they have a recipe. Adding half a bottle of whiskey to eggnog is not a good thing. Unless you want to get drunk off the fumes. Or lose your liver after taking a sip. I don't drink alcohol, but I could tell that this was going to be an accident waiting to happen. And it was, put mildly.
3. Holiday music is not holiday music without happy holiday music. Sure, Christmas carols are nice, but at least stick in upbeat stuff. A little of Mariah Carrey's "All I Want for Christmas" is a good thing. That and a little Motown/R&B will do wonders to the mood.
4. Did I mention the eggnog? It was potent. So potent, nobody could drink it. This is amazing as this is a large group of law school students who embrace alcohol as a food group. Well, two people thought it was fine, but I'm not sure about the veracity of such statements.
5. White trash holiday fashion does exist. No pictures, however. I know some of you wanted to see this. When you combine a holiday sweater, a skirt, silver heels, and red hose together, it can happen. This is coming from the girl who wore this combo and wore it quite proudly, I might say. It does bring new meaning to "Ho, ho, ho. Merry Christmas!" Hey, if you're going to do this kind of holiday wear, you might as well embrace it with aplomb. And she did.
6. I exist. And I have a life out of law school. That wasn't interesting or entertaining, but seeing people do double takes when they saw me was fun. People are always surprised at seeing me outside of law school for some reason.
I hope they disposed of the eggnog in a safe fashion. God forbid something bad happens. That's all for now. It is now time to hibernate and make a rare showing at a law school function next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH YOU'RE MEXICAN EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW